Sunday, November 9, 2008

The joy of serving

I grew up attending church with my parents. So, eventually, following my dad's footstep I began serving in the worship ministry. I don't know since when I love singing so much, but I do enjoy singing a lot.. so you should know what area I'm serving in hee hee

I've been a backup singer and worship leader in my church since I was 12 and 13 (I think). Form 1 and 2. My voice used to sound kiddie, my bro would comment a lot, because I couldn't blend in with the worship leader and other backup singers' voices. During those days, we would use mic stand. I used to be really shy to adjust the stand cz it always had to be super low. (laugh laugh laugh)

The years of experience didn't help much on stage. I still have butterflies in my stomach before getting on stage. So for the younger ones, don't think I'm pro in this yah.. I'm just like u. hee =D

This morning, I agreed to backup sing. (We don't normally have worship prac cz everyone is too bz with work). But it has been almost 3 weeks having cough and flu, the accumulated phlegm gives me on and off block nose and sometimes take my voice away. So, before I left for church, I did some menthol inhalation to clear my nose. I was asked to start one of the song "Throne of Praise" by Don Moen, so I agreed.

Lo and behold, while I was singing, my nose blocked. Phlegm came back, I didn't have enough air and strength from my stomach. And the song was on a high tune. Imagine how I tried to cover my inabilities.. added some airy effect to the song, (cz airy dun need much power)..but I couldn't inhale enough air so at the end of the phrase my voice went shaky so I add power (cz power use less air). It's complicated la.. And during that time also somehow the Holy Spirit touched me, I was half crying, half controlling my voice, etc etc.

I still enjoy being a backup singer k.. despite the numerous times embarrasing myself.. =D

No comments: